Wednesday, October 2, 2013

BYOT

Last week I promised I would write a post dedicated to seeing Shrek from the stage manager's booth... To be fair I kept my promise and wrote a beautiful post about how much I learned and how fun it was. But alas, it was all lost to cyberspace..

Because of this unfortunate turn of events I will just say I had a blast, learned a lot, enjoyed the show, and I would be more than willing to talk about it so call me, beep me, message me, email me... You know the drill. But here are a couple pictures for you. 

View from the booth

So a couple of really fun things have been happening in my "comedy" career the past few weeks. 
First things first, a group of friends and I started an improv group. We have rehearsed a few times and performed 3 times at a show called BYOT, (Bring Your Own Team) an "open mic" type situation for improv teams. It has been a lot of fun and we have gotten a pretty good response, which is really encouraging. 
Photo courtesy of Travis
We haven't quite settled on a name just yet, but we have tried out a new one each week including Fare, Prince John III, and most recently Southeast of Wellington. This week we will hopefully be deciding on a permanent name that suites us a unique group of improvisers. 
BONUS: Alli, a good friend from school, visited Chicago last weekend we got to hang out with her and she honored us with her presence as an audience member at BYOT! And most importantly Alli will be moving here in a few short months and we can continue to have wonderful evenings like last Saturday!! 

In addition to rehearsing and performing with a talented group of people that are quickly becoming some of my closest friend, I auditioned for and was cast in a coached ensemble at Second City. So what that means is that I will be rehearsing for the next 10 weeks with an entirely new group of people (who I have yet to meet) and a coach learning a new form of improv. Then come December we will have 3 performances in the Skybox theatre on December 5th, 12th, and 19th (in case you plan to be in Chicago any of those weeks). I meet for my rehearsal tomorrow and I can't wait to see who I will be performing with and what style of improv we are going to do. I am super excited to learn a new form of improv, get to work with another faculty member at Second City, get more feedback and coaching on my improv, get to perform on a Second City stage, and get to put an official Second City group on my resume. 

Look at me taking the improv world by storm... and loving every second of it!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment