Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Laundromat Thoughts

I posted this on Facebook earlier today. 


I chose to be a real adult (rather than a pretend adult) and do laundry THEN watch SNL and eat cookie dough ice cream! 

I am sitting alone in the laundromat (which is much busier than I would have guessed for it being the middle of the day on a rainy Tuesday) and thinking about my life and career! I know deep thoughts for a Tuesday at the laundromat 

I wrote this blog in a notebook first, who needs modern technology... (also, I don't understand how people take instagram pics of everyday life, cuz I felt so stupid taking this picture.)
Last night after our last Level 1 class our teacher, Megan Hovde, let us ask any and all questions we could think of about Chicago, Second City, Comedy/Improv, and her career. It continued for so long that we moved the discussion to the bar across the street. She talked about a lot of great stuff and gave some really wonderful advice. Here are the bits of advice that stuck with me: 

  • Don't quit your day job
  • You don't have to be a "starving artist"
  • On average is takes 5-7 years of classes and putting yourself out there to get into touring shows
  • Get involved
  • Don't get too involved (Advice is never straightforward)
  • Be a triple or quadruple threat
    • learn to dance
    • learn to sing
    • learn to play an instrument
    • take acting classes 
    • if you have considered learning how to do something, now is a good time to learn
  • You have to be persistent and persevere, it could take many tries at auditioning to get cast with Second City
If you know me at all you know that a couple of things on that list terrify the shit out of me (especially singing). After being told "You have to sing, you got into a business where you say 'Yes and...' not 'Yes, but not that....'" I have resolved to get over my fears (no matter how many dollars and tears I have to shed). First, voice lessons to get over my fear of singing in front of people and then musical improv classes to get over my fear of not having the words given to me. 

Other classes I would like to take in the next few years of my life: 
  • Stand Up
  • Dance (Which kind? Who knows! Some of everything?)
  • Writing
  • Movement
  • Clowning
  • And more... 
I figure if this is what I want to do I better learn all I can about it. I am not entirely sure how all this is going to manifest itself in terms of a career, but what I do know is that I want to keep going and find out! 




No comments:

Post a Comment