Tuesday, June 25, 2013

More Catch Up

I promise I will get better at this! I promise I will post more often and stay up to date! I promise that soon my blog posts will be relevant to what is currently happening in my life....
But for today I need to do some more catch up!

I am getting ready to post a couple food pictures ( I apologize) I generally hate pictures of food on the internet, but here is why Instagram is not worthy of these photos:
This first meal represents so much more than just my ability to cook dinner by myself, I have been able to do that for awhile.
This meal represents the fact that we found an apartment (looked sketchy there for a while)
We were able to figure out the gas hook up.
We got internet set up (Phew!)
No amount of pointless hashtags would ever be able to describe what it feels like to make your first meal in a new apartment in a new city with a whole new world of opportunities waiting for you.
(OK, sorry it got kind of cheesy there for a second)







Travis' New Occupation and the Greatest Bar in Chicago

Two completely unrelated things, but it's what I am talking about next.
Down in Lincoln Square (about a 20 minute bus ride from my apartment) they have little concerts every Thursday night during the summer, and it was fantastic, there were tons of families there with their kids and the kids are all jumping and dancing around while their parents enjoyed the music. Needless to say this is apparently the place to be on Thursday nights. Megan and I decided to go get food (we got fantastic Mediterranean sandwiches) and on the way back we see this...
A guy (or girl...) rides around in a bicycle with this on the back and stops places and puts on puppet shows. This isn't actually Travis' new occupation BUT if you know anything about Travis you know that he would be happy to do this all day. This puppet show was hilarious! Just a couple of puppets dancing to some music, but the kids loved it! You see that little window on the bottom right of the box, kids would walk up to that window and wave some money in front of it and the puppets would come down from performing and grab the money from the kids! GENIUS! Every kid wanted to give the guy (or girl...) money just to see the puppets up close. Just to put an extra smile on your face: one little boy, probably 7 or 8, walked up to his parents with a wide-eyed expression on his face and says "It's kind of AMAZING because no one is doing it! There is no one there doing it!" 
Ahh, theatre magic at its finest! 
Chicago has arts and cultural encounters around every corner and I am enjoying it so much!

On a totally different note, We found the greatest bar in Chicago (ok, ok I haven't been to every bar in Chicago...yet... but this one is pretty cool!) 
You walk into this bar they check your ID (typical bar protocol) and then you get up to the front "hostess stand" and she explains to you that every game is free play, "except for Wizard of Oz because it's brand new today and really rare." They call it a Beercade, it has about 20 different games of pinball including (wait for it) Indiana Jones and Star Wars! Plus they have all your typical old school video arcade games (Pac Man, Mrs. Pac Man, Frogger, Donkey Kong, Mario Brothers, etc...) You name it, they probably have it! It was such a blast! There was no cover charge and all the games were free (except for Wizard of Oz which did actually look really epic, although not worth my dollar). 
We will be going back and we will be bringing Travis and we will have a great time! 






Tonight I start at The Second City! So stay tuned for that post :)




No comments:

Post a Comment