Friday, January 3, 2014

A Serendipitous Encounter

Before I head back to the frozen wasteland of Chicago I got to have a bit of fun with my family and some unexpected old friends.
Due to missing the big family Christmas get together my mom invited my aunts, uncles, and cousins over on New Year's Day for Chili. The day before my mom and sister and I spent all day cutting and preparing a triple batch of Chili. This included pounds of sausage, 6 onions, and a ton of canned tomatoes!

Mary making Lemonade
It was so wonderful getting to catch up with and see my whole extended family. It was so nice to have the opportunity to see them as well as get to know my brother's girlfriend.

Thursday ended up being a day of running around and doing errands with my mom and sister. But in the middle of the errands we were able to find time to have a nice brunch and also go and see Catching Fire at the theater. Then last night my brother took us all out for dinner and drinks (since he is living at home he gets to take the family out since my parents aren't charging him rent). We had delicious burgers and martinis all on my brother's dime. 

Other highlights of the past couple days was getting to try my dad's homemade salted caramel sauce. My dad and older brother spent a lot of time working on and perfecting a caramel recipe to can and gift to all the neighbors. 
Apples and homemade caramel
In a true serendipitous moment two of my best friends from college were in Colorado on a ski trip, and with only a two hour distance to trek to see them it seemed silly not to. We met halfway between Breckenridge and Denver in Idaho Springs to have the famous Colorado style Mile High Mountain Pie at Beau Jo's Pizza.


It was such a treat to get to see Taylor and Jordan at such an unexpected time and place. It felt just like old times hanging out, gossiping, and catching up on life adventures. 

Derpin' just like old times! 
I missed these crazy kids as if they were my own family. It was so great to hear about all the cool things they have been doing since last May. But to be honest I am already counting down the days until they move to Chicago (I don't even care that is a year and a half away). 

Check out that hair! And yes... that is a frozen waterfall in the background! 
This trip home was a much needed break from work, cold, and the city. I got to relax, sleep in, and eat lots of free food.

One more night of my favorite meal (Puttanesca Spaghetti) before heading home (my new home) to the Windy City.




No comments:

Post a Comment