Thursday, January 16, 2014

Oh Hot Damn, This is My Jam

This has been a big week for me, I started a new job, a new improv class, and a new yoga routine (ok... so I haven't started it yet). Thankfully all of this happened just in time for me, I was getting very antsy hanging around my house for hours on end.

From now on 35-40 hours of my week now consists of playing with a 3 year old who loves art and yelling. It feels great to be working again... My days are now filled with smelly markers, "sgetty O's," and baby dolls... and there is nothing wrong with that! Come on, be honest, you would love to get paid to color with smelly markers and build sand castles with magic sand. And who wouldn't love that?

I enrolled in Scenic Improv 2 this term at Second City and I can already tell this is going to be the best class I have taken. The teacher, Rachael Mason, is so good at explaining concepts and putting the complexity of improv very simply. I have already learned so much in only 3 hours of class. My favorite thing she talked about is actually something I have been working on for a while which is just being able to shed my inhibitions. Viola Spolin, fondly considered the mother of improvisational theatre, invented improv games to help non-english speaking children in the arts. Her son Paul Sills, founder of The Second City, thought, well if kids can do it then surely adults can. And hence the history of Second City in 10 seconds or less. Scenic Improv 2 is going to be about getting us to play like kids, to stop worrying about if we are messing up, doing it wrong, or being judged and just give 110% to the scenes. This is going to be great for me since the feedback I got after not being accepted to continue in the Conservatory was to commit to my character and scenes and not back down.

One thing in particular that Rachael said that has become my new mantra for improv, "Decide now that this is your 3rd drink jam!" Essentially just decide that you are going to lose your inhibitions and dance as though your 3 drinks in even if you don't know the song. I LOVE THIS! Because I am also that person at the club that will just sit on the sideline while other people dance claiming "Oh...I don't know the song..." and "Oh... well... I am soo not drunk enough yet..." So I guess I have a little bit of work to do on both my improvising and socializing skills.

Oh... yeah... and my "new yoga routine." I guess it's not a routine if I haven't started yet. I have taken the first steps to a new yoga routine though. From the comfort of my bed I can see my brand new yoga mat and yoga DVD, I have a brand new Contigo water bottle that coincidentally matches my yoga mat, and I have plenty of pairs of yoga pants that would love to (for once) be used for their actual purpose. If you're in the market for a new water bottle don't get a Camelbak they (Suck!) leak... Contigo is so much better (Sponsor? **hint hint Contigo**). In my defense it is very cold in my house... is wrong to do yoga in a sleeping bag? Okay... ok... I will do some yoga... eventually....


No comments:

Post a Comment