Wednesday, September 24, 2014

It's All Happening So Fast

Guys! It's happening, it's all happening and so quickly! This past weekend I performed in my Level 4 show at Second City with my incredibly talented Conservatory cast, watched so many of my closest friends take the stage in their final Conservatory Graduation show, and On Hiatus just made the leap from improv to sketch.

A year ago I was just starting the conservatory. I was surprised, terrified, excited, and more or less clueless as to what the year had in store for me. A year ago the idea of writing a sketch was completely incomprehensible. I didn't know the first thing about writing a sketch. I didn't know what types of sketches their were or even how to generate ideas for them. Yet, here I am in the throws of writing two different sketch shows. Just this week alone I have to write 2 black outs, 1 needle drop, and a relationship scene. Heck, this time last year I wouldn't have even understood 90% of those words.

I feel only feelings of awe and gratitude to my Conservatory class, Bad Reunion, for kicking ass and having a blast at our second show this past Sunday. From kids with polio, to salty nuts, from crazed milkmen, to bloody knees this cast does everything 110%. (PS the bloody knee was mine, I died a bit too dramatically. There is nothing quite so jarring as standing on stage and glancing down at your legs to realize you have a trail of blood all the way from your knee to your ankle.) I can't even wait to see what our next show has in store. We have two weeks to put together some rad sketches and I have no doubt this group will go above and beyond as always.

Remember this group of crazy kids?

Well 5 of them just graduated from the conservatory at Second City and I couldn't be more proud of them! 

And now the 7 of us will be embarking on a great adventure together that we have been talking about, dreaming about, and planning for over a year now! That's right On Hiatus is writing our very own sketch show! We just hired and incredible director, Tiffani Swalley, who has already pushed us to create some pretty fantastic sketch comedy!! So in the next couple of weeks we are going to perform at Midnight Melt so we can submit our work to Sketchfest. And even if we don't get into Sketchfest we hope to have a run in the Skybox in early spring of this coming year. 

And in other news I got bangs! 


I guess, needless to say, lots of things are changing and it couldn't be more thrilled to be on this ride!



No comments:

Post a Comment