Saturday, February 22, 2014

4 Things I Learned From Dead Man's Cell Phone

In celebration of the one year anniversary of opening my first show as a stage manager, NAU Theatre's production of Dead Man's Cell Phone, I decided I would make a list of the Four Things I learned from Dead Man's Cell Phone. 

To be clear this list is not in anyway a list of ways in which the process of the show made me a better stage manager, theatre practitioner, adult, critical thinker, or problem solver. This is a list of facts that I now know to be true, thanks to this show and a years reflection.

So Here it is:

Four Things I learned From Dead Man's Cell Phone:

1. Everyone is connected to their phones, nonstop. 
Mrs. Gottlieb: There are one or two sacred places left in the world today. Where there is no ringing. The theater, the church, and the toilet. But some people actually answer their phones in the shitter these days. Some people really do. 
Alli Ritter as Mrs. Gottlieb
Note: All photos are taken from NAU Theatre Department's archived photos of the spring 2013 production of Dead Man's Cell Phone 
Have you ever been in the bathroom while someone is talking on their phone? One of two awkward situations immediately arises in these situations. 1. You think they are talking to you... which is always awkward and borderline mortifyingly embarrassing for you, never them. 2. You are now privy to way too much information about this person's life... and no less, you know they are having this conversation while "on the shitter." This play, incidentally, first premiered only 25 days before the very first iPhone was released, June 2007. (coincidence? probably, but maybe not.) And to be fair there is probably no sacred place left, phones go off in the theater and church all the time these days.

2. Women should feel confident to put makeup on in public
The Other Woman: A woman should be able to take out her compact and put lipstick on her lips with absolute confidence. No apology.
Jean: I have always been embarrassed to put lipstick on in public. 
Charity Ormand as Jean and Chelsea Hightower as The Other Woman
I have always been like Jean, but since the production of Dead Man's Cell Phone I always think about what The Other Woman said. Every time I feel too shy or self conscious to put lipstick, or heck even tinted moisturizer, on in public I remember what The Other Woman said. I then proceed to continue to feel weird about it and usually wait till I am alone or can go into a bathroom. But, most women do feel totally comfortable putting lipstick, or even all their makeup, on in public or on the train.
Which leads me to my next point.

3. People in transit are soulless shells  of humans. 
Gordon: I get onto the subway. A tomb for people's eyes. I believe that when people are in transit their souls are not in their bodies. It takes a couple minutes to catch up... So airports and subway stations are very similar to hell. 
Rob Barnes as Gordon
I never realized how true this really was until I lived in a city with easily accessibly mass transit. Never in my whole life have I felt more like I don't have a soul than when I have to sit for 45 minutes to an hour on a train or bus to get anywhere in the city. Nothing sucks your energy, excitement, and happiness more than a long commute on public transit. No matter how awake or how energized I am, as soon as I get on the train I feel like a zombie that hasn't slept in years.

4. Everyone should own a light up umbrella. 

Ever been walking home in the dark while its raining? I bet you have, at least once in your life. So invest is a light up umbrella. It keeps you dry. It lights the way. And it looks hella badass!

NAU Theatre Department's cast of Dead Man's Cell Phone 
I just wanted to share that picture because this show gave me happy, tingly, theatre magic feels every night. Mostly thanks to the awesome lighting, done by one of the professors that I still look up to as a truly incredible theatre practitioner and artist, Ben Alexander.

Okay, enough reminiscing for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment