Monday, February 10, 2014

Through the Lookingglass

Well, Cozy Corner, it's been awhile since I have written, which technically makes me the absolute worst at New Years resolutions (I mean "projects"). I didn't even make it through January... I wish I could say that I have some really great reason for not having written like I lead the most mundane life, I have been too busy, or even the Polar Vortex froze me into a block of ice incapable of writing anything. The truth is quite a bit has happened and I have just been too lazy to write. To be fair I have written drafts for 3 blog posts that will probably never make it off the pages of my notebook.

So here is a brief list of things that have happened since you last heard from me:

  • Courtney (Megan's older sister) came to visit for grad school interviews; but it was less of grad school interviews and more a lesson in attempting to stay warm during the sequel to the Ice Age Chicago. And after all of that she is still planning to move here. 
  • I have now seen several installments of the process of the Second City Mainstage cast writing the 102nd Mainstage Revue. It was super interesting and fun to witness the development of a new show whether is was watching an improvised scene, rough sketch, or fully rehearsed piece. From what I saw a couple weeks ago, this is a great cast and going to be a fantastic show. 
I don't have a lot of pictures from recently so here is a picture of the mainstage at Second City
  • On Hiatus has had 2 shows this February and we will be having at least 2 more before this month is up. It is a totally new experience doing Barprov (improv in a bar) but it is a lot of fun. If you are in Chicago you should come and check us out!! 
  • One of my good friends from NAU came to Chicago for a brief visit and man was it a joy to see the lovely Olivia Bedard last night! This superstar is assistant stage-managing at a couple different theatres in Wisconsin. It was so good to talk to her about her theatrical endeavors and just reminisce, gossip, and catch up. Hanging out with Lucy, Megan, and Olivia made me miss good ol' Flagstaff, AZ. 
Look at us... It's like we never left each others' sides. 
I guess that is about all you missed in the past month (really only 3 weeks).

OH WAIT!! I just accepted a a job as the Young Performer Supervisor at The Lookingglass Theatre for their upcoming new work about Darwin and his wife called In the Garden. I am forever reminded that it is not what you know but who you in this business. The dresser that I worked with at the Goodman passed my name and info along to The Lookingglass! I am thrilled (and incredibly nervous) for this new, amazing opportunity to be a part of a production at such an amazing theatre!

Photo taken from The Lookingglass' website

Unfortunately due to the rehearsal, tech, and performance schedules I wont be able to be in the Conservatory at Second City simultaneously so I am going to wait to re-audition for level 3 at the end of June. I plan to still play with On Hiatus (@onhiatusimprov follow us on twitter) and I am hoping to take some workshops and drop in classes so that I am not totally void of improv for the next 4 months.

This city continues to open new doors for me and I love being able to pursue both improv and stage management in a way I never would have thought possible a year ago!


No comments:

Post a Comment