Monday, December 23, 2013

Chicago Christmas Part I

Unlike most of the population I will not be catching up with family and helping prepare food for the masses, so I thought I would keep a little Christmas journal for my first Christmas away from home!

Today (The eve of Christmas Eve)

To start I would like to apologize to Chicago for ever doubting how cold it could really be. I scoffed at you earlier this month when temperatures were a balmy 20ยบ. So... that's enough Chicago... you proved your point... now please stop showing off with negative and single digit temperatures!



We had two shows for A Christmas Carol so I was pretty busy. The children got picked up by their parents for the break between shows today so I had time to go to the bank AND, most importantly, sit and have a quiet dinner reading alone at Panera Bread. Despite how much they wear me out, these kids are a constant reminder of why the Christmas season is so great. It seems that when you grow up you forget the pure joy that comes with this season. The kids can't stop talking about how excited they are for tomorrow and Wednesday. In this unorthodox Christmas for me it is a nice reminder that even though I am not at home it is still Christmas and there is still an incredible amount of joy to be found all around me during this time of year.

Both of the shows today went well. Much better than I expected considering the fact that is was the third day of our six-shows-in-three-days chaos. The kids were tired and therefore crabby and squirrelly but still enthusiastic and generally positive.

After the show I hustled the children out of the theatre so I could make it down to the iO to meet up with Scott and Taylor to see A&R Mix Tape which is an improvised freestyle rap "album" featuring Ross Bryant and Andy Carey. It was coincidentally also Ross Bryant's last improv show in Chicago before moving to LA. The show was hilarious and incredible! There is nothing quite like watching two white guys improvise and entire rap album. The best part of the night might have been when they did a rap battle but had to be each other. So essentially it was a whole rap battle where they were making fun of themselves and using their own insecurities. It was great! And a wonderful way for me to kick off my holiday festivities.

What will Christmas Eve bring? Tune in tomorrow to find out ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment