Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Chicago Christmas Part III

Christmas Day

Merry Christmas! I hope everyone had a fabulous Christmas celebration!

As for me I had a great, relaxing non-Christmasy Christmas day and it was glorious!
I started out by sleeping in. After weeks of working two jobs and not having a day off in 3 or so weeks knowing that my alarm clock was not going to go off this morning was the best christmas gift to myself.

After I woke up I made myself a lovely breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast, and a bowl of chopped mango and orange. While eating, I opened up the package from my parents that had the contents of my stocking.

The stocking stuffers that Santa puts into my stocking as of late are all the things I need but never want to spend the money on (bobby pins, mascara, hair bands, chocolate, chapstick) and I love it. This year Santa also scored a sweet glasses repair kit at the Container Store that consists of extra screws, hinges, nose pads, and a teeny tiny screwdriver in case I ever need to fix my glasses. 

After I finished breakfast I opened the rest of the packages that have been waiting so patiently to be opened. Two packages my mom ordered from Athleta had thick Smartwool socks and my aunt sent a package full of candy, treats, and some extra cold weather accessories! 

My mother was concerned that I wouldn't have enough to open on Christmas... But thanks to my amazing Aunt I had more than enough to open! 

Ahh... post Christmas wrapping paper messes! 
In a true "orphaned" Christmas style I met up with some friends from college, Lucy and AJ, and went to see Saving Mr. Banks. When I arrived at the movie theatre I got an extra Christmas surprise, I have had a Regal Cinema free movie ticket in my wallet for 4 years and I finally used it today! So Merry Christmas Emily (and Happy 19th Birthday!) The movie was wonderful! It made me laugh, it made me cry, and it made me really want to read the original book by P.L. Travers. I would recommend seeing the movie, I mean it has Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks in it! 

While I was traveling home from the movie my family in Colorado was convening and beginning celebrations at my parent's house so it was about time for me to utilize modern technology and say a quick Merry Christmas to extended family. 

My Sister

Cousins, Aunt, and Grandma's forehead (My family struggled with getting into the view of the camera.)

Oh... What was that? My Christmas dinner you ask... well of course I had to have Italian. It just would not be Christmas if I had anything else! So of course I made spaghetti. Not quite my Father's spaghetti but I have to work with what I've got. 


I even prepared myself some appetizers to tide me over while I waited for the pot to boil. A whole plate of raw vegetables with ranch dip and cheese and crackers for sporadic munching throughout dinner. All in all a rather delicious and filling meal. 


After dinner I snuggled up with some blankets and hulu.com to catch up on some TV shows. Specifically the Holiday episode of SNL, which I have been saving for today. I also watched the holiday episodes of Modern Family and Glee. It was a thoroughly perfect was to spend my first Christmas away from my family. 

While I was all cozied up on the couch it snowed just enough to blanket the dirty old snow with a soft, pure, white coat making the view of the street emanate with Holiday spirit. 


5 more shows of A Christmas Carol before I get to hop a plane to Denver and spend some quality time with my family... and hopefully we can relive some Christmas traditions for my benefit. 

But for now all I have to say is Merry Christmas from Beauty the Turkey and Me: 








No comments:

Post a Comment