Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Chicago Christmas Part II

Christmas Eve

I would like to start by putting you in my frame of mind for the day. Right now life seems so far removed from Christmas because I went about my day as I have the past few weeks. While I was riding the train this morning to work I sat there thoroughly confused as to why there was almost no one on the train... then it occurred to me that it was Christmas Eve and therefore probably very few people had any need to travel via public transportation.

I tried very hard to remind myself all day that it was Christmas Eve, but not being in Colorado with my family makes it feel like it isn't even close to Christmas.

I started my day off with lunch at Costello's with my good friend Adrienne. We haven't seen each other in a little while so we got to sit and chat and catch up on life, which was so much fun.

After that I went down to the show. What a great day to be a part of a show like A Christmas Carol, most of the show is set on Christmas Eve so it felt relevant and extra festive. The cast sang O Holy Night for vocal warm ups, which made me feel so incredibly blessed while also made me miss home quite a bit. But nonetheless it was a very special moment that I am glad I got to be a part of.

Vocal warmups with the cast of A Christmas Carol

The kids excitement for the day was contagious and put a smile on my face for the rest of the evening! The actors who play Mr. and Mrs. Crachitt got little gifts for all the kids, so the kids were atwitter all evening with excitement about their new toys and the prospects of what the rest of the evening and tomorrow had to offer! A particularly charming moment was when the 13 year old was so excited to be performing in this show on Christmas Eve. She said that she truly understands the joy of Christmas is not in getting gifts but in giving gifts, being with the people you love, and spreading joy to people around the holidays. Tiny Tim, secretly our own little Scrooge, was really only excited to leave the show so he could open his presents... nothing else seemed to please him! 

I left the show with a giant smile on my face and warm feelings in my stomach! It really was a great way to spend Christmas eve (maybe not as great as spending it with my family... but still provided a plethora of warm and fuzzy feelings). 

After the show I went over to my friend Taylor's house ordered chinese food for dinner and settled in to watch a couple of Christmas movies (The Polar Express and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer). 

I forgot to take a picture of the two of us... So we will have to settle on this picture of The Polar Express
Taylor and I sat and chatted for a while but my body kept telling me it was time to go to bed, forgetting of course that we got out of the show at 5:00 not 10:45. 

I finally got my second wind and came home and put the finishing touches on Christmas decorations in the house. The Christmas tree, wreath, and ornaments courtesy of Megan. 

Please note that Santa delivered all my packages via USPS this year :)
I mostly really just cleaned up the table to make it look cute!

I did however hang up Christmas cards over the fireplace:


Oh yeah! And I put Santa hats on out Thanksgiving turkeys!


Which brings me up to right now: drinking Christmas tea, listening to Christmas music, and of course blogging! 

Happy Christmas Eve everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment