Monday, December 16, 2013

Warriors Take Care of One Another

For those of you who haven't heard on Friday a young man entered Arapahoe High School with a shotgun and some other weapons intent on doing harm. He fired several shots and set off a molotov cocktail before taking his own life. Arapahoe High School is were my sister and cousin both currently attend school, but also where I went to high school.
I have tried now for a couple of days to put down in words what happened at Arapahoe on Friday but nothing that I write seems to do justice to the event or really express the sentiments that were on my mind. This afternoon I realized it was because I was focusing on all the wrong things. I was focusing on what happened, how it happened, why it happened, and how it affected me. Then I read this article here and I realized that all that stuff didn't matter, what mattered is the Arapahoe High School motto "Warriors take care of one another" is more than just a motto. The warrior that is in every student, teacher, police officer, swat team member, parent, sibling, neighbor, friend, and stranger that sacrificed, prayed, hoped, helped, acted, supported and loved is what made it possible that over 2,000 students went home to hug their families Friday night.
The article explains that a group of students who had recently experienced a couple of the most horrifying hours of their lives thought not of themselves but of their fellow fallen Warriors. They organized a time and place for friends, family, neighbors, and teachers to gather and pray for the young woman who was shot. I am so impressed with the response of the whole community which has been nothing but supportive and positive. My Facebook page exploded with pictures of the Warrior, prayers for those affected, and thanks for those brave people who did anything and everything to keep the students safe.

My sister, cousin, neighbors, friends, kids that I babysat, and kids I grew up with were all in that building that day. And thanks to the brave teachers, many of whom had family and children of their own in the building, knew exactly what to do and were willing to do whatever it took, the injuries on Friday were minimal.
One young woman was shot in the first few seconds of the attack and she is still fighting for her life in the hospital. So please if you are reading this take a moment out of your day to pray for and send positive thoughts to Claire Davis as she is still in critical condition.

Designed by Dylan Pierpont Arapahoe High School Alum

I have never been more proud to be an Arapahoe Warrior!

No comments:

Post a Comment