Monday, October 6, 2014

Best Vacation Ever: China

The prompt today is best or worst vacation ever and I have been racking my brain for a story about the worst vacation ever and strangely enough I don't think it exists. I was privileged enough to have parents who took us on road trips and vacations all over the country. We visited numerous state and national parks as well as family along the way. However the absolute best trip I have been on has to be China.

6 years ago I was lucky enough to get to visit China with my family. My Uncle received a fullbright scholarship to teach in Xiamen for a year. My parents thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get to visit a country we would have never otherwise travelled to.

We spent a week in Xiamen with my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins. Followed by 3 days in Xian (where the terra cotta soldiers are located) and lastly Beijing for 4 days. The trip was an incredible two weeks of seeing the iconic sites of china up close and personal as well as eating lots of food. Sometimes I dream about eating all that food again, I didn't have a single bad meal while there.


Instead of rambling on about my experiences I figured I would just post some of my favorite photos from the trip (prepare yourself I am not good at choosing).

Before and After our 2 week adventure

We ate so much yummy food except the sea worms (top right)

Buddhist monk from the temple next to my Aunt and Uncle's took a particular liking to my cousin.

Tea shop, not only were the walls full of tea but a we had a whole tea tasting before our purchase

We visited "The Round Houses" which are old villages in rural areas.

The Terra Cotta soldiers in Xian

Xian is the only city that still has it's complete city wall in tact. You can ride bicycles all the way around the perimeter (1 mile). This photo was taken only about 5 minutes into the ride and my sister already had her feet up... it was a long ride. 

Our overnight train ride in a sleeper car from Xian to Beijing

The Great Wall of China, it was as incredible as you think it would be. 

We went on a Hutong petticab tour in Beijing. Some very strong gentlemen pulled 3 of us in each of their carts.

You can actually buy luck crickets in the marketplace.

And my favorite.... American's aren't the only ones who put their kids on leashes!
My Aunt and Uncle are back in China this year and my little brother is going to be there for school next summer, I would give anything to go and visit all of them, if only I had thousands of dollars laying around.








10 comments:

  1. Wow is all I can say. I would so love to go on a holiday like this, the photos are amazing and the experiences, like the Great wall of China! Even just the market and tea shop look brilliant! :)
    http://alovetriangle.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were incredible and like nothing I had ever seen! Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  2. Wow what an amazing experience it sounds like you have had and how lucky you are to have travelled to so many places with you family! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I am truly thankful to my parents for all the opportunities they gave us.

      Delete
  3. China seems like a life changing trip, that's for sure! So glad I found you on the linkup! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you found me too! I am loving reading your blog!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's hard to complain about being given the opportunity to travel! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. awww your pictures are so cute! and yes...the Great Wall does look amazing!

    ReplyDelete