Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Letter to Myself in 10 years

Every time I have thought about this post I get that Brad Paisley song "Letter to Me" stuck in my head, that song is about writing a letter to your younger self though, and that seems to be easier. The thought of writing to myself in 5 years is overwhelming, so how am I supposed to articulate feelings to a 33 year old me.

I am only just barely an adult, and I can't seem to fathom a life that doesn't consist of trips the grocery store only once every few months, doing laundry only when I have run out of absolutely every pair of underwear in my drawer, or binge watching pretty much any TV show until 3 in the morning.

So if I wrote a letter to myself it would probably say something like this:

Dear 33 year old me,

Don't forget to water the plants on Sunday, I know that it is probably still hard for you to remember to do even though you have been watering the plants on the same day every week for 10 years. Congratulations on surviving your 20's hopefully with most of the few remaining marbles you survived your teens with.

I expect that if you are reading this you are sitting on a porch, sipping a glass of wine, while your children play in the yard. And you are quietly chipping away at a block of marble on your way to creating a sculpture so elegant and detailed it will rival the work of Michelangelo (If this isn't your life you have greatly disappointed me). But I can't imagine that with the stunning good looks, quick wit, and creative problem solving that I already possess at this young age you are creating anything less than the next great masterpiece.

All joking aside, though, I don't know what the last 10 years of your life looked like, but I hope they made you happy. I hope you decided on what you wanted to spend your life doing. And I hope it was something that challenged you creatively, intellectually, and maybe even physically (although physically seems highly unlikely to me on the young end of this 10 years).

Keep living the dream, that's all I ask!

Love,
22 year old me




6 comments:

  1. Haha! Great letter, I hope your older self gets everything you want :)
    http://alovetriangle.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope so too, but first of all I have to figure out what it is I want.

      Delete
  2. Can I sit on the porch and drink wine with you? That sounds like such a happy place!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Porch sitting and drinking wine are two of my favorite activities!!

      Delete
  3. This was great! I laughed out loud at it and I hope you get everything you wanted! Great Letter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I am glad someone laughs at my jokes!

      Delete