Thursday, October 2, 2014

What is My Dream Job?

Despite the fact that ever since you're old enough to think people have been asking you what you want to be when you grow up, it seems pretty crazy that I still have no idea. I can't say that I ever had a single Dream Job at any given point in my childhood I've always wanted to be dozens of things, often at the same time.

The only job I know that I never considered having was a Doctor. Both of my parents are doctors and much to their chagrin, not a single one of their 4 children have any desire to pursue medicine or even science at all.

Instead, here is what I wanted to be:

-Pilot- I am not entirely sure why because I actually hate flying.

-Marine Biologist- This one still sounds like fun. I would love to go out into the ocean and study marine animals. I have also always wanted to be a Dolphin (but that's the answer to a different question).

-Teacher- Of many different subjects including but not limited to; art, history, english, elementary, theater.

-Olympic/Professional Triathlete

-Olympic/Professional Figure Skater

-Olympic/Professional Gymnast

-Olympic/Professional Swimmer

-Olympic/Professional Synchronized Swimmer
          -Needless to say I only actually did one of these things (swimming) so how I ever hoped to
          achieve a professional level at figure skating is truly beyond me.

-Labor and Delivery Nurse- This is the closest I came to my parents being proud of me.

-Astronaut- Until I found out about all the math and science

-Cosmetologist- Because, why not?

-Actress- For a while when I saw a movie or play that I really loved I would lock myself in my room and perform the scenes from it in front of the audiences of thousands of adoring fans.

It's really no surprise that I got into acting and improvisation because how else could I be all of these things? Just in the past week I have been an Ancient Egyptian Queen, a character from a Dicken's novel, a menopausal woman, a cracked out kid, and the woman from this iconic picture:

Quite frankly if I was asked this question today the list would be nearly as long. I can't bring myself to decide how I want to spend the rest of my life. 

My new list looks a little like this. 

-Performer- Sketch, improv, film, theatre, you name it I want to do it. 

-Writer- Between my new found love of blogging and my desire to write great Second City worthy sketches I have found a passion for writing. Some days I just want to write everything! Novels, children's books, sitcoms, jokes for late night television, sketches for Second City, sketches for SNL, how to books, and much much more!

-Singer/Songwriter- (Yes Mom, you read that correctly) A girl can dream can't she? 

-Director- I would love to direct theatre and sketch shows in Chicago. It just seems like so much fun! 

-Stage Manager- No matter how much I think I love writing and performing sometimes I miss the power and control of sitting in the booth making sure everything goes well. 


If I could really have my Dream Job, I would be able to do all of these things as I feel inspired and as the opportunities presented themselves. I would never have to worry about a job, I would always just have projects lined up in one of the categories listed above. 
And now for my Autumn pictures of the day!

Someone is clearly not enjoying Fall as much as me!  
Fall Colors!!



No comments:

Post a Comment