Saturday, October 25, 2014

So Many Books...

Would you ask a mother who her favorite child is? No, you wouldn't, so you also wouldn't ask a book lover what her favorite book is! This is an impossible question, it's just too damn broad. My favorite classic book? My favorite Sci Fi? Fantasy? Historical? Historical Fiction? Humor? Young Adult? Dystopian?

Ok, you get the picture. Instead of narrowing it down to my favorite book. I am going to tell you the best book I have read in the past year, my least favorite book of all time, my favorite book(s) to reread, and a book that changed my life!
So here goes...

 Best book in the past year:

I read this book right after I moved to Chicago. It is all about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair juxtaposed with the story of H.H. Holmes who murdered many women in the boarding house that he built for the World's Fair. This book is non-fiction, Erik Larson uses only primary source material to tell the story, but never does it feel like a history lesson. This book combines two of my favorite things history and psychological thrillers.

My least favorite book of all time: 

I read Grapes of Wrath the summer before my junior year of college and it took me the whole three months of summer to read it. Now, I am a slow reader... but not that slow. This book made me so mad, and so bored, and so apathetic. My mom recommended it to me because its a classic and its semi-historically based. I wont let my mother live this down. I probably wouldn't have even finished the book if it wasn't for the fact that I had to do a project for school on it. I haven't read any other John Steinbeck novel and I am not sure I ever will.

My favorite book(s) to reread: 

How could I not say Harry Potter. I grew up with these books, I was one of those kids that anxiously waited for the release of the next book. I will never get too old or too familiar with these books to stop rereading them! Every time I read them I discover new things that I didn't pick up before, plus they are just a great escape! 

A book that changed my life: 

I read this book in college right after I had started really falling in love with improv. I knew that I loved Tina Fey, what I didn't know was that Second City existed. I had no idea that you could take improv classes and eventually work your way onto a touring company, and maybe even get hired to be on one of the resident stages. I always thought of improv as a hobby to do while doing something else until I read this book and I realized that I could pursue improv as a career and it could open up a lot of doors of possibility for my future. (So Mom, you have Tina Fey to thank for my pursuit of a career in comedy. When you sit around wondering why/how on Earth I came to want to do this you can just blame it on good ol' Tina Fey.)


I am currently not reading a book so I am excited to see what books everyone else is reading on the Blogtober link up with Taylor and Helene.




4 comments:

  1. This is a great list - I totally agree with the first bit! How do book lovers choose one book!? It's way too difficult, but I like this post, you got around not having to say your fav book of all time! ;)
    http://alovetriangle.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Tina Fey's book, I should really go add that to my Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Harry Potter series and grew up with them too! :D
    Stopping by from Helene's blog for #Blogtober14
    www.shoutjohn.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potterhead for life! Thanks for the book recommendations :)

    ReplyDelete